Context clues are defined as words, phrases, or pieces of information that help you understand the meaning of what you’re reading. They can be found within a sentence, paragraph, or even an entire text. In order to be a successful reader, it’s important to be able to identify and use context clues. Here are 7 strategies for doing just that:
1. Read the sentence or passage carefully. Oftentimes, the context clue will be right in front of you if you just take the time to read slowly and carefully.
2. Identify the unknown word or concept. In order to find the context clue, you first need to identify the word or concept that you don’t understand.
3. Try to determine the part of speech of the unknown word. This can give you a good idea of how the word is being used in the sentence and what kind of definition you should be looking for.
4. Look for synonyms or similar words in the sentence. Synonyms are words that have the same or similar meanings. Identifying them can help you figure out the meaning of the unknown word.
5. Ask yourself what kind of information would make sense in that particular spot in the sentence. This can help give you a better idea of what type of definition to look for.
6. Use a dictionary or other reference materials to find the definition of the word. Once you’ve tried all of these strategies and still can’t figure out the meaning of the word, it’s time to consult a reference book like a dictionary or encyclopedia.
7. Re-read the sentence or passage after finding the definition of the unknown word. This will help ensure that you understand how the new word fits into the larger context of what you’re reading.
By following these seven strategies, you’ll be able to decipher even the most difficult context clues! Just remember to take your time, be patient, and consult a reference book if needed—and before long, you’ll be a master at using context clues in your reading.